When the bearings fail, most car owners blame it on the quality of grease, but the experienced drivers can assert that the way you carry out lubrication can also cause breakage of your vehicle’s moving parts. A grease gun is a device utilized by car enthusiasts and skilled mechanics to provide lubrication to various automobile components such as bearings, valves, transmission parts, and others. The best grease gun is one of the most convenient, quick, and precise kinds of equipment used to eliminate dry friction.
We invite you to peruse our top picks, so you can discover the ideal choice among them. Plus, our buyer’s guide is here to help you with the proper exploitation.
Grease Gun Reviews
Dewalt DCGG571M1 – best cordless grease gun
This Dewalt DCGG571M1 works with the help of a battery (4.0 Ah) which is capable of running up to 16 cartridges on a single charge. So consider this model if you need the best battery powered grease gun. Its motor provides up to 10,000 PSI of pressure. Furthermore, its high-volume pump can push up to 5.0 oz of liquid per minute. Additionally, the pump comes with a screen cover to shield it from debris buildup that may obstruct its functioning.
This device can potentially be the best grease gun for dark and hard-to-reach places. It has a large (42 inches), durable, and flexible hose which allows reaching the most distant and inaccessible places. However, with 20.6 x 9.9 x 4.8 inches, the product is not really compact.
Thanks to the on-board LED light, you’ll be able to work on car parts that are situated in dimly-lit areas. It also has an air-bleeder valve which helps with pump priming after a cartridge change.
- The DCGG571M1has integrated no-mar foot design that allows putting the tool on flat surfaces.
- It goes with a shoulder strap.
- Equipped with a variable speed trigger.
- The package does not include the battery and charger, so you will need to purchase them separately.
- Weighing 8 pounds, it’s a bit heavy.
This model from REXBETI is a heavy-duty grease gun with a solid design as its barrel is made of steel to ensure that the gun will serve for long. The handle is made of thick rubber to prevent slippering. With its heavy-duty spring, which is more powerful than average springs, you won’t encounter problems with the hose becoming obstructed by grease.The advanced valve design easily releases the air of the tube.
The tool comes with an 18-inch hose that provides a standard pressure of 6000 PSI.
Weighing 3.09 pounds, the device is among the most lightweight ones on our list. With 16.1 x 6.2 x 2.8 inches, it’s also not very big.
- The tool features an unbendable plunger.
- It has an easy to release nozzle.
- The reinforced coupler prevents leaking problems.
- The tool tends to leak grease when not in use, causing a mess.
This grease gun from STEINBRÜCKE has an O-ring sealed piston design which minimizes the risk of grease leakings even if high pressure is applied. The device’s head is crafted from solid metal, and the canister is made from cold-drawn steel, ensuring its durability. The grip is made of anti-slip rubber to provide higher gripping friction.
Equipped with an 18-inch flexible hose reinforced with a spring guard, the device can easily reach even the farthest car parts. It also features a convenient sharp type nozzle. The air bleeding valve does its job in eliminating the air pockets well.
It has 15 x 5.5 x 3 inches and weighs 3.6 lbs, so it can become the best manual grease gun for you. Boasting a maximum working pressure of 6000 PSI, this device is an excellent choice for those seeking a powerful yet portable option.
The tool works with 14 oz grease cartridges and bulk grease.
- The grease comes out smoothly with each handle push.
- Suitable for marine use and agricultural equipment.
- The coupler is hard to remove from the zerk fitting.
- This device is not ideal for one-handed operation as it requires the use of both hands.
Lincoln 1162 – best grease gun coupler
This model from Lincoln goes with a variable-speed trigger so you get a customizable flow control. It also provides the opportunity to control the amount of grease you want to apply to a particular area. Furthermore, this tool is fully automatic, eliminating the need for physical force.
The Lincoln grease gun provides 6000 PSI of maximum pressure and features a 30-inch hose which is flexible enough to reach narrow fittings. The tool is also supplied with an anti-jam mechanism which is aimed to prevent accidental plunger bendings.
Measuring 8.2 x 2.8 x 18 inches, this tool is not very bulky, but it is a little heavy, weighing 5.6 pounds.
- The advanced pump design (the cartridge holding chambers are parallel) eliminates any issues with priming.
- The Lincoln 1162 goes with a coupler, a gun holder, and an attachment clip.
- Featuring a rubber handle, this device provides a comfortable grip.
- The device isn’t protected from accidental grease seepings.
LockNLube LNL252 – best pistol grip grease gun
This model from LockNLube belongs to a high-end segment. It features a quick-release coupler and a thumb lever. The tool has 8,000 PSI of maximum operating pressure. Its head is made of lightweight but durable cast aluminum. It also has a large and ergonomic grip. The device comes with a 20-inch hose that includes an in-line swivel to ensure better reach. It delivers 1 oz of grease with 37 strokes.
The grease gun’s oversized locking notch allows for quicker loading. Besides, both cartridge and suction loading options are available.
It comes with a handle clip which prevents accidental pumping of the gun and Loop & Lock for convenient storage and carrying. With 17 x 8 x 3 inches in size and 3.6 pounds of weight, this device from LockNLube stays lightweight and ergonomic.
- Included in the package is a bleeder valve that reduces air pockets and is helpful for priming.
- The replacement seal kit increases the lifespan of the tool.
- The upper part is fixed tightly enough to prevent grease from flowing around the fitting.
- Using this device with one hand can be challenging.
- The locking tip is too big for some hard to reach places.
This model from Milwaukee is designed for those who are searching for the best grease gun for heavy equipment with impressive characteristics. Capable of delivering an impressive 10,000 PSI of pressure, this device also features an extra-long 48-inch flexible hose with a spring guard. The device features a 2-speed design.
This battery-powered grease gun is supplied with a lock on/off trigger which provides increased convenience for the user. The air bleeder valve serves as an effective priming mechanism for facilitating quick flow. It also features a grease counter which allows dispensing a precise amount of grease. The device has a maximum flow rate of up to 10 oz per minute.
The 2646-22CT goes with a battery that can run up to 10 grease cartridges on one charge. It also goes with a charger, a carrying case, and a shoulder strap.
Note that it’s quite a bulky tool with 4.9 x 24.5 x 13 inches in size. Weighing 18.1 pounds, it’s also extremely heavy.
- Features an on-board LED light.
- The rod has markings that allow gauging how much grease is left in the barrel.
- The battery included in the kit may not be of the highest quality, and you may need to purchase a new one separately.
Alemite 555-E – best air grease gun
The Alemite 555-E is suitable for both workshops and home use and is universal for most kinds of vehicles. It goes with a flexible 18-inch hose. It also has a heavy-duty spring which always keeps the gun primed.
Supplied with a dual mode, this device allows for choosing between high-volume output or high-pressure delivery. Its spacious cylinder has a capacity of 16 oz.
This top rated grease gun provides grease at pressure up to 7,500 PSI which is quite a lot for a manual model. To solve the issue with excessive pressure, the manufacturer managed to supply the Alemite 555-E with a bleeder valve.
Weighing 3.8 pounds and having 18 x 7 x 4 inches, it’s one of the most compact models among hand-powered grease guns. However, the rate of 1 oz per 30 strokes is still impressive for a portable model.
- You can load grease into this device either by bulk loading or by inserting a grease cartridge.
- It has a sturdy design and an ergonomic rugged cast handle.
- The kit includes an adjustable coupler.
- The extension hose on this device is made of inexpensive material and may be prone to breaking down quickly.
Instructions on How to Load a Grease Gun
Before loading your grease gun, make sure that the grease you have selected is compatible with your specific tool. In case it is too thick or too liquid, it can break or simply won’t work. It is also important to avoid blending two types of grease together, as they may not mix well and could potentially damage both the tool and the grease, resulting in wasted materials.
The grease gun loading isn’t a hard process even if you have never done this before. However, it’s very important to strictly follow the instructions if you want the process to be quick and trouble-free. Follow our step-by-step manual.
- Detach the cartridge. This kind of tool has a two-part construction: the first part includes a cartridge with grease, and the second one includes barrel and cap with a nozzle. Detach the cartridge by unscrewing the cap. When loading your grease gun, turn the barrel clockwise while rotating in the opposite direction. It may require some physical strength to properly load the grease.
- Remove the metal rod. It’s used to exert pressure on the cartridge, forcing the lubricant to come out. The metal rod can be found in the grease gun center, where the cartridge is located. Pull it until it comes out completely. Once the rod is extended, it should be firmly fixed.
- Remove the cartridge. Commonly, the construction of these devices is designed in such a way that in order to get the cartridge, the rod must be moved to the side. You will no longer need the removed cartridge, so you can safely discard it.
- Prepare the new cartridge for installation. Before loading a new grease cartridge, it is important to remove any residual grease from the previous cartridge. This can be done by wiping the barrel clean with a dry cloth or rag. Remove the cap from the new cartridge. Note that if the cartridge has been stored upside down, the grease will accumulate on the right side. If it has been stored in the standard position, shake it several times before installation in order to make the grease settle in the right direction.
- Install a new cartridge. That part of the cartridge that had a cap on it should be located in the front. The end of the cartridge with the seal must fully coincide with the end of the barrel.
- Assemble the grease gun back. Unblock the rod and press it to the barrel. At the same time, you need to press the handle of the nozzle to get rid of air in the barrel. When using your grease gun, it is important to stop pressing the trigger immediately after the grease appears from the nozzle to prevent over-lubricating the part or creating a mess. Attach the barrel and the head by rotating them in the opposite directions. Remember not to screw too tight, it will cause a pressure drop in the tool, making it impossible to use.
Make sure that the grease is delivered by pumping the handle.
Guide on How to Use it
When using a grease gun, you shouldn’t forget about safety measures:
- Don’t apply lubricants to a running vehicle.
- You should always maintain proper footing and balance to make it easier to control your device in unexpected situations.
- It’s better not to let the lubricant get on your skin, especially if you have any wounds because all lubricants have a certain level of toxicity. Wash your hands after you finish working with a tool.
- Check the hose before each use. If it’s damaged or worn out, it may rupture causing fingers or hands injury.
- The pneumatic and electric grease guns can create extreme pressure that is insensible to the user. Therefore, be careful when working with these kinds of tools.
- Electric grease guns require special safety measures to ensure proper use and avoid accidents. It is important to turn off the gun before inserting the battery, and to keep the tool away from water and any metal objects that could cause a short circuit.
- Make sure to read the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
To start using the tool, place the coupler directly on the area to be greased and press the handle several times at that moment when you need the grease to begin flowing. The harder you push the handle, the more powerful jet of lubricant fluid you will get. Note that the hand-powered grease guns will make you put some effort, but the electric tools and tools that use an air compressor provide an increased working pressure and feed rate, so be careful.
Don’t neglect cleaning your device after each use. Having dried grease inside, it will start causing troubles and become unusable over time (or at least difficult to use).
Benefits of Using
Of course, the quality of lubricant is important, but the improper tool for lubrication can also cause some issues. That is why you should be attentive when choosing the one. There are a bunch of reasons why grease guns are considered to be one of the most effective and reliable tools for lubrication:
- Accuracy of application. Thanks to its long and flexible tube, these tools is especially convenient to accurately lubricate hard-to-reach areas. Plus, some models allow changing different kinds of nozzles to carry out various types of lubrication.
- Convenience. If you prefer smaller and more compact garage tools, you might consider a grease gun with a 3 oz cylinder capacity, which is perfectly sized for one-handed operation.
- Grease waste prevention. Devices supplied with the flow meter allow controlling the amount of grease being used. This helps avoid damage to the bearings due to excessive or insufficient lubrication. So, thanks to the ability to measure the adequate amount of lubricant, it prevents grease spills and wastes.
- Cost-efficiency. In relation to preventing spills and wastes, this tool will help you save some money on buying grease, oils, and lubes.
- Longevity. Based on actual users, the grease guns have durable built and structure that is enough to last for more than a decade.
- Reliable lubrication. The grease gun delivers lubricant under pressure, ensuring that all car parts receive adequate lubrication.
How to Choose the Best Grease Gun
Actually, these devices have approximately the same working principle: the pressure is pumped in the cylinder due to the reciprocating action and the lubricant is squeezed out through the rod by a piston. When high pressure is reached on the nozzle, a lubricant enters the hose via an open valve.
If you require a tool that can efficiently lubricate car parts that are exposed to heavy loads and prone to rapid wear and tear, a grease gun should be considered. However, the choice of the right tool can be confusing because the modern market offers a great variety of different types and models. With our help, you can get the best mini grease gun for convenient home use or large, heavy, and powerful model for your workshop. So first, let’s take a look at their types so you will be able to find out which one of them is suitable for you.
- Air-powered (pneumatic)
The manual grease guns include lever, screw-type, push-type, suction, and pistol-grip models. Grease guns are designed for both professional and home use and are popular due to their budget-friendly and safe usage.
Such models are powered via a cord or by a rechargeable battery. Thanks to that, they are more convenient in use as you don’t have to put much pressure manually.
These devices use compressed air. It’s more suitable for commercial use as it’s difficult in usage and can be dangerous for a non-professional. However, it’s powerful enough to be used with very thick greases at low temperatures.