If you are looking for the best reciprocating saw, you probably know that this popular power tool has something in common with a drill and a jigsaw. The hacksaw blade makes not only straightforward but also pendulum movements. It shifts back and forth, rising when moving to its original position. This means that the cutting element does not pass the second time in the same place and the blade is retracted in automatic mode. All these lead to the friction of the hacksaw on the cut surface reducing, which, in turn, facilitates and speeds up the work. Consequently, an excessive physical effort and frequent changing of the saw’s removable part are not required.
Decent reciprocating saws have the following useful characteristics:
- These blades can easily get hard-to-reach places.
- Narrow sawing blades are able to make curly cuts. You can also slit flush with the adjacent part, as the cutting blade bends easily and can be exploited in this position.
- There is not a large amount of dust, sparks, and scales during the working process.
- It’s safe to use. Exhausting concentration is not required during the operational period.
- If you replace the saw blade with a metal brush, it can remove rust or old coating (there is such an option for some models).
Manufacturers present different models, so before making a purchasing you should familiarize yourself with really popular reciprocating saw reviews, among which you’ll definitely find the tool that meets your demands.
Reciprocating Saw Reviews
Best Cordless Reciprocating Saws
The Dewalt hacksaw is designed specifically for long and convenient operation because the tool is equipped with a D-shaped handle. Diameter and defined form of the gearbox neck are suitable for a comfortable grip with the second hand. The intensity of the sawing can be adjusted by simple trigger pressing. Due to an adjustable support sole, it’s possible to set the necessary cut depth. The tool itself weighs only 5 pounds, has compact dimensions (14.5 x 6 x 7 inches) that reduce the load on the user’s hands and shoulders, and allows you to store the object even in a small closet. Unfortunately, the clamps don’t hold the blades made by various manufacturers securely because even after correct installation the cutting wedge moves in an arbitrary direction. It would be nice to call the DEWALT DCS367B the best cordless reciprocating saw, but it’s hard to do this due to the mentioned functional flaws and too loud working process.
- An electronic engine speed control system allows selecting the required number of revolutions during operation.
- Electronic blade’s brake presence increases safety.
- The rubberized handle provides reliable and safe holding of the tool during the work.
- The rubberized handle is good from practical point of view, but it has unpleasant chemical smell.
- Specified saw greatly vibrates during the work process.
This cordless model has a powerful engine, which increases the efficiency and quality of work. I really like the anti-vibration technology that reduces the level of vibration transmitted from the body to the rear handle when cutting dense materials. The assembly quality is decent because even falling on the floor didn’t knock out the unit of service. Its power is enough to work with the mean thickness lumber, but old and well-rooted trees need more serious saws that can cope with the bark coarse and massive tree calliper. There’s no rubber smell and unit’s heating while working, moreover, it produces the acceptable noise volume that doesn’t annoy and provoke headache. Blades that are made by other manufacturers fit the Ryobi P514 without problems, so, hypothetically, the product can be called the best reciprocating saw for those people who value versatility and good assembly quality.
- Special cooling system prevents the power unit and main parts from overheating.
- The rubberized coating on the handle reduces vibration during operation, making the work more enjoyable.
- Included saw blade is sharp enough and perfectly fits the facility.
- The battery drains quickly (during a 30 minutes of work without heavy load).
- I have to apply efforts to get the battery from the unit because specified element stuck for unknown reasons.
This unit has an important feature: it can be both a mini reciprocating saw and a jigsaw. The tool holder allows you to clamp blades of two types. Powerful engine is located in a rotary head and the electronics are hidden in the handle that makes the unit compact. Special snap button permits you to easily transform the tool from jigsaw to the lightweight reciprocating saw (4.2 pounds). The unit has some ventilation holes, which reduce the overheating possibility. Cords absence makes it simple to use a tool even on a roof and in the garden. The battery is good for short operations because due to the heavy load it quickly loses charge and refuses to work. It is not suitable for working with hard materials and thick trees (due to the blade thickness and compactness), only for simple housework.
- The forehead contains the backlit that is comfortable for usage in dark places.
- Battery with charger is suitable for all 20V WORX models.
- It is easy to get rid of sawdust by blowing it out.
- There’s no blade back stabilization so during the cutting process the unit leaves chewed up edges.
- The vibration may be too tense.
The unit isn’t the replacement for a chainsaw; it can cope with limbs no bigger than 5 inches in diameter. It’s comfortable to cut the branch lines even with my arm fully extended because the CRS180B’s weight is fully acceptable. Due to the lock jaws, it’s possible easily exchange blades. The set includes two cutting wedges, so there’s no need to purchase additional one. I really like that 18V batteries are all compatible with 18V tools and can be interchangeable, so other Bosch products can be useful in the case of need. The working speed is variable and the owner can adjust such option according to the preferences. The assembly quality is decent. All the details are sturdy, the body frame made of solid material, there’s no unpleasant smell and visible manufacturer’s defects. There’s a possibility to place the blade with the teeth either up or down but not sideway. The Bosch CRS180B isn’t the best sawzall for heavy loads, but it is reasonably good option for moderate loads and home usage.
- Cordless unit weighs only 6.35 pounds and doesn’t put a pressure on the shoulder during use.
- Blades are really sharp and can be exploited for pruning trees to menial carpentry work.
- The shoe is adjustable to define cut depth.
- Harsh vibration distracts from the workflow and promotes quick fatigue.
- There are no backlight for comfortable exploitation and hook for compact storage.
Best Corded Reciprocating Saws
The tool has oblong gearbox and elongated blade, which makes it possible to work in hard-to-reach places. Used cord is long enough and doesn’t interfere with the work process. It can be operated without the risk to become overheated because the construction promotes the ventilation. Perhaps, the Ryobi ZRRJ186V is the best corded reciprocating saw for those users who like the maneuverability, due to which there is the possibility of creating curly sections and cutting curved parts of complex shapes. 12-amp engine is enough to cut a wood with metal elements inside it, the corresponded blade also is able to cope with a serious load. The possibility of pendulum stroke choosing allows you to increase the cutting speed of thick materials. This product doesn’t come bundled with additional blades, but it’s simple to purchase the required item separately.
- The blade stops quickly due to the engine brake.
- It has a rubberized handle coating that reduces vibration.
- A special locking system is useful for quick nozzles changing.
- The unit is heavy (7.3 pounds) and it’s tediously to keep it in hand during the work process.
- There’s no crotchet on the body frame that can hook the tool on the handrails and free user’s hands.
This instrument has a good assembly quality. There are metal gears in mechanism, which protect the construction from the breakage even after falling from a small height. Blades can be affixed horizontally or vertically in order to meet various requirements. The item isn’t heavy (8 pounds), but it might be difficult for some customers to deal with it. It’s a decent choice for those who need the tool with a powerful engine (12 Amps) for heavy work. The DEWALT DWE305 throws some chips/dust around, so it’s better to take care about safety gear. Used cord itself is strong and thick, so bending is excluded, and it is quite difficult to break it (it is coated with hardy polyvinyl chloride). The unit has a soft launch that eliminates starting jerks and protects the tool from wear. It works loud, but produced sound does not negatively affect an owner’s general condition.
- There’s a keyless lever for clamping the blades that makes it easy to exchange the header.
- I can control the speed through the required triggers.
- Cord is 6 feet long that is absolutely enough for most operations in the house (if you want to work outside, it’s better to get an electric generator).
- There’s no protection case for a storing.
- The set doesn’t contain nozzles, so it needs to purchase such elements additionally.
Dustproof and waterproof design looks solid and seems to provide a long service life. The unit can work with materials of serious harnesses. The basic rule is that the thickness of the item being cut should correspond to the technical parameters and capabilities of the Makita JR3050T. It is equipped with a D-shaped handle, and the gearbox’s neck diameter and shape are good for a comfortable grabbing with the second hand. Soft and non-slipped inserts are made of elastomer, so the user can securely fix the tool. Specified saw comes in a branded case, including three blades: for wood, metal, and plastic. It’s easy to replace a used cutting wedge, as this reciprocating saw with a quick-clamping chuck allows the substitution of elements without the help of wrenches or screwdrivers. The Makita product quickly gets hot and the owner has to set up the cooling time. It’s important to read manual that comes with the set and follow the instruction, otherwise, operation unprepared person may face some issues.
- There’s a non-instrumental adjustment of the cut depth.
- Available thrust shoe can be appointed, which is convenient for non-thick materials cutting.v
- It has the ability to safely connect to the network without grounding.
- The forepart is made of non-reliable butylene overmolding.
- The chuck doesn’t have multiple position options that might be useful while working in tight areas.
You can perform cutting in any position – standing, sitting, or lying under the tree. Just check the cord’s length and bring the electrical generator in order to work in a garden. The SKIL saw stays relatively cold even under the heavy load and produces the neutral volume noise that is not annoying. There’s no storage case, so it’s important to think about unit’s placing. Moreover, this item is specifically designed to exploit with a conventional American wall outlet (120V at 60Hz), so pay attention that it won’t normally operate with 220V. The unit is suitable for work with nails, plywood, plastic tubes, and other hard material, but only in the case of choosing the appropriate blade type. Mentioned reciprocating tool is easily maneuvered. It will work as the master’s hand will lead and, if necessary, round a sharp corner or allow you to cut a part from even a curved material.
- Metal gear housing is solid and it isn’t easy to leave scratches on it.
- The user can control the speed level and choose the decent variant for material specific aspects.
- It’s a good choice for cutting branches and not thick metal elements.
- Blades that come in the set are easily bended and thin.
- The unit weighs 8 pounds and it’s hard to keep it in one hand.
Get Acquainted with Reciprocating Saw
What is a reciprocating saw? It is a type of electric saw due to which the cutting process (sawing) is carried out by reciprocating movements of the blade. The unit has interchangeable wedges resembling jigsaw blades but only of a bigger size. Such a reciprocating instrument is also called an electric saw, since the sawing principle is similar to a hand saw, only automated. It varies in power, speed, and functions, moreover, the unit size also depends on these parameters. There are low-power, cordless, compact, and also powerful high-speed, network-operated reciprocating models. Modern cordless electric facilities don’t come short of instruments, powered by electricity in the context of performance level. Battery reserve significantly increases and charging time decreases. Pneumatic saws are often used in bulk repair because they have increased wear resistance.
Tips for Working with the Reciprocating Saw
If you want to know how to use a reciprocating saw correctly, pay attention to the following recommendations.
- First of all, it is mandatory to check the manual, choose the right blade (it has to be longer than the object you cut by only 2 inches), and insert it correctly into the chuck. Long and flexible blades are great for flashing anything or getting close to an object in an inaccessible place.
- A reciprocating saw is a rather coarse instrument with strong vibration and, unlike a jigsaw, can damage the material being cut, such as laminate. You should protect the work surface by putting a piece of thermal insulation on the saw’s plane sole and secure it with a tape.
- If you use a reciprocating unit for metal cutting, pay attention that during operation the cutting blade becomes hot. Whereupon it quickly dulls and becomes unsuitable for further use. In order to extend the cutting blade’s performance, use a special lubricant for wedges during operation, which can be easily found in tool stores.
- When working with a saw, it’s important to reduce vibration by pressing the sole tightly to the surface of the material. As a result, by adjusting the height in one direction or another, you can get uniform wear on the cutting blade and significantly extend its performance.
- When sawing thick material, try to alternate the angle of the instrument. This reduces the contact area of the blade with the material, diminishes friction, and accelerates the cutting process.
- Leave a couple of dull blades, they can still come in handy, for example, for cutting plastic pipes. When using the new ones, their sharp teeth can probably cling strongly to the plastic and pull the workpiece out of hand.
Reciprocating Saw: Usage Goals
Some people before the unit purchasing ask: “What do you use a reciprocating saw for?” and here’s the answer: specified saw belongs to the class of universal tools with a wide scope. It is able to provide maximum comfort when performing.
- Planned trees pruning in the garden.
- Cutting logs for heating.
- Metal pipes trimming.
- Housebuilding processes (it works with such materials as wood, plastic, drywall, etc.).
- Other maintenance works and carpentry.
This tool is able quickly and efficiently cut most materials used in the household. Due to the narrow blade of the hacksaw, reciprocating saws can carve along a curved path, which significantly expands its scope. Of course, the user’s experience is required, but with a developed eyesight measurement and the skill to work with similar equipment, you can quickly learn how to cut exactly along the marking line of any complexity. While unit choosing, it’s important to pay attention to ergonomic characteristics, quick saw change mechanism, and vibration isolation presence.