This article is intended to show the pros and cons of these multi-functional products, as well as help you choose the best oscillating tool. If you need to sand and polish a door frame, scrape old paint off your walls or cut a metal sheet in your garage, then a perfect oscillating tool is everything you need to easily perform all these difficult tasks.
By accomplishing a thorough and meticulous analysis, we managed to find 7 amazing products that can meet the expectations of even the most demanding customers. After reading this article, there will be no need for you to spend hours near your laptop reading various blogs and rankings in pursuit of a high-quality product, as our team of professionals has already tested dozens of options to come up with this helpful guide. The article containing concise and informative oscillating tool reviews will also educate you on what are the core purposes of this multi tool, what are the types of attachments used in them, and what issues to keep in mind when trying to find the option in the market of multi tools.
Oscillating Multi Tool Reviews
This model may be very beneficial to those people who often need to work outside as this cordless multi-tool may guarantee up to 20 minutes of run time thanks to a powerful Makita’s 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 3.0Ah battery. Actually, I appreciated the efforts of the manufacturers in delivering a multi-tool, which works rather quietly with lower noise and reduced vibration features. You know how awfully noisy an oscillating multi-tool can be, but this is not the case with the XMT03Z. The tool’s sharp oscillation degree is another upside of the tool as uncommon 3.2 degrees provide the model with very fast and aggressive cutting to allow you to work confidently with dozens of different materials. However, I think that the product lacks some adjustability to ensure precise cutting, especially when it comes to cutting in corners. That is why I can recommend the XMT03Z as the oscillating tool for work in normal conditions with the minimum necessity for processing hard-to-reach places. Otherwise, it may be very difficult to adjust your blade or other accessories to safely and precisely work with the hard-to-reach surfaces.
- The model’s variable speed control positively impacts its performance when it is necessary to work at a different pace.
- Its tool-less blade change system for changing accessories enables to quickly put a necessary blade, which is especially useful when you need to combine several actions (e.g. cutting and sanding) at once.
- The solid construction of the unit offers stability and real power.
- You should pay for battery units separately if you want to use a cordless multi-tool.
- A quick-change unit interferes with deep cutting.
- The model lacks the LED light, which makes it challenging to work in dark areas.
Of all products mentioned in our oscillating tool comparison, this model is one of the most expensive oscillating multi tools mentioned here, so I understand that it is natural to demand from this item more. What I really like about this unit is that it goes with 28-piece Dewalt accessory kit that makes it possible to perfectly saw, sand, grind, cut, scrape, and polish. Every attachment item is called to make a product more versatile and choose the most appropriate option for a certain task. However, this multi tool looks rather bulky weighing as much as 7 pounds. This may create some additional load on your hands if you work for more than 30 minutes. At the same time, I would like to compliment the DCS355D1 on its powerful 20V XR Lithium-Ion battery and a DEWALT brushless motor, which can together deliver more than 55% of run time over brushed. One more upside of the model is that its quick-change system is located in the right place, so deep cutting can be still performed easily. Moreover, the DCS355D1 also boasts its bright LED light, which is especially helpful for those who need to work in dark areas.
- This multi-tool has a reliable universal accessory adaptor allowing you to use non-Dewalt accessories on a regular basis, which is totally great if you have some decent attachments left from your previous tool.
- The DCS355D1 has a smart rubber placement, which prevents you from unexpected bumping.
- The item has a comfy but still very reliable lock/unlock system making it possible to lock or unlock the button easily.
- The model seems to have some belt clip problems as the belt holes are not threaded appropriately.
- The battery may quickly lose its full capacity requiring more frequent charging sessions.
This is a rather cheap option compared to other discussed power multitools, though it confidently outperforms most of them in many significant features. Its 3-amp motor is a sufficient power source ensuring effective and stable work of the oscillating tool. However, this results in a situation that such a powerful motor adds a lot of weight to the item. Just imagine, a tool has relatively compact (as for an oscillating tool) dimensions (15 x 4.3 x 11 inches) but weighs 7.65 pounds, which is very uncommon for tools with a less powerful motor. In my opinion, another positive feature of the PCE605K52 is that it goes with a huge number of accessories, namely 52 attachment pieces. This is where the Porter-Cable extensively outperforms competitors as most of their products (including the PCE605K52) are very flexible and functional due to a generous bag with accessories sold together with oscillating multi tools.
- Lasting blades emain sharp long enough minimizing the necessity to replace them with newer and sharper ones.
- The oscillating tool still works very softly with little vibration even though it has such a powerful motor.
- The PCE605K52 has well-designed oscillating saws making it possible to work even in hard-to-reach areas.
- Being a corded device and having no battery capacity, the model can be used only in a 10-foot range provided by its own cord.
- The model is rather noisy and the tool becomes hot quickly, so you can easily get burnt just holding it in your hands.
- The tool has a very strong spring, so changing your attachments may irritate you easily.
Actually, this particular oscillating cutting tool has lots of advantages, which I was very pleased to find out keeping in mind its relatively cheap price. The first aspect I would like to emphasize is the tool’s powerful 4.2 Amp motor, which is a rare guest in the models in this price range. Actually, 4.2 Amp is more than enough to easily deal with very firm materials, such as concrete or nails, without any signs of a stall. The second positive aspect is Rockwell’s duotech oscillation technology, which is called to empower its users with an opportunity to select an appropriate oscillation angle straightforwardly to get maximum impact from the RK5151K. However, I must declare that the model is very noisy and contains only 10 accessories, although this problem can be partially solved due to its Universal Fit System that accepts almost all attachments made by popular brands.
- You will definitely enjoy how easily blades can be changed while staying very securely in a tool due to tool-less blade change.
- The tool is very versatile as it allows users to choose the oscillation angle from 3.4° to 5° to find an appropriate position for cutting in hard-to-reach areas.
- The model’s speed adjustment works very well to give users an opportunity to opt for a necessary intensity.
- Being a corded tool, it cannot be used outside with no electricity source available near.
- The lever for changing the oscillating degree tends to fall out of place to bring lots of discomfort during your work.
Well, this model is the most expensive one mentioned in our oscillating multi tool reviews, so it is totally natural that it boasts some competitive advantages compared to other 6 multi tools. I believe that its Starlock 3-D tool-accessory interface, which is mostly used in professional tools to hold all the accessories tightly and ensure 100 % power transfer. This technology not only raises the speed, precision, and effectiveness of the oscillating tool but also increases energy consumption. However, keep in mind that it will use only Starlock blades, which are way more expensive than OIS blades are. Moreover, just imagine how powerful this functional oscillating tool can be as it is stuffed with a 5.5 Amp motor with reinforced metal gearing. This feature gives it so much power and intensity to easily cope with rock-solid materials. This offering also goes with as much as 40 different accessories aimed to allow users to accomplish such actions as plunge-cutting, flush-cutting, sanding, grinding, and many others. Nevertheless, I am a bit disappointed with a very loud noise following the performance of the oscillating tool. Surely, it is common for powerful professional tools, but its manufacturers could have achieved greater progress in noise reduction.
- The model is very compact and light with a low vibration rate, so you can work effectively even when standing on a ladder with your arms fully extended.
- The model has a high-end oscillating frequency working excellent even under heavy loads.
- The tool lacks LED light and a battery, which makes a model less functional in dark areas.
- With 40 items of accessories sold with the GOP55-36C2, 25 of them are different sheets of sandpaper of medium quality.
In my opinion, this is a decent oscillating tool for those individuals who would take it occasionally just to fix something in their house. Although the model is pretty cheap, it is stuffed with a high-performance 3.8 Amp motor designed to give enough power to the tool for different demanding activities and take the tool to the top of various multi tool ratings. While having such a powerful motor and rather big dimensions (17.2 x 4.2 x 10.5 inches) as for a conventional oscillating tool and a solid structure, the Dremel MM40-05 weighs only 4.5 pounds, which is definitely a good result. I would also like to mention that the model has a Quick-Boost option intended to users maintain constant oscillation frequency when needed. At the same time, I did not like the level of vibration produced by the multi tool, especially when I had to deal with very firm and thick materials as it got my hands tired quickly.
- The model is very handy and offers a wide range of speed.
- The multi tool’s Quick-Lock can be activated easily to allow you to change the accessories quickly.
- The MM40-05 lacks LED light and a battery to ensure interruptive work in dark places and far from the electricity source.
This model must be a part of any ranking of top rated oscillating tools. What really impressed me in this model was its small dimensions (11.3 x 2.3 x 4 inches) and lightweight design (2.9 pounds). The product is very handy and comfy, so you can use it for a long time without getting your hands tired quickly. With a powerful 3.5 Amp, the RK5132K is capable of ensuring stable work with no stalls. I also liked the way how easy it was with variable speed selection to find a suitable oscillation rate. Additionally, the product’s Universal Fit System worked pretty well with accessories produced by other brands, while the manufacturer also sends you 32 accessory pieces. However, it was sometimes very difficult to work in hard-to-reach or tight spaces having only 4° blade oscillation angle at hand.
- The model works very smoothly and quietly with minimum vibration level.
- This oscillating tool rarely becomes overheated due to a wise choice of materials made by its manufacturers.
- The sanding attachment is of very poor quality as it quickly loses its form and structure.
- The product still has no LED light to provide effective work in dark places.
Choosing a High-Quality Oscillating Tool
There exist so many brands and models in the market of oscillating multi tools, so picking the most functional tool in the ocean of ultra-modern devices with myriads of different technical characteristics is a very scrupulous and time-consuming task. Nevertheless, there are some aspects that you should definitely look at when trying to find a high-end product that will last you for years. The first thing I would like to say is that there is no product or brand that meets the demands of all consumers. Every brand has its own features but you should better pay attention to details rather than simply look for a particular brand. The second important thing is to keep in mind your purposes for buying an oscillating tool. If you need it just for sanding, opt for those models offering high-quality sanding attachments. If you are going to use it for multiple purposes (grinding, cutting, sanding, etc.), search for those products having perfect functional characteristics. Furthermore, it can be useful to look at the following aspects when trying to find the best oscillating tool: motor power, compatibility with accessories made by other brands, weight, corded or cordless (depending on what you need), the number and quality of accessories sold with the tool, oscillation angle, and set of functions.
How Does It Work?
An oscillating tool works due to a side-to-side movement. The oscillation itself is very slight (usually about 3-5 degrees) but very quick (it can be up to 25,000 strokes per minute). The vibration created during the oscillation allows cutting with a blade, scraping with scrapers, sanding with sanding paper, etc.
Can You Cut Metal with an Oscillating Tool?
Yes, you can easily cut metal using your favorite oscillating tool. The only thing you need to do is to attach the metal cutting blade made of bi-metal. Such a bi-metal blade usually has teeth with no offset, which helps them easily cut through metal and withstand tough working conditions.
Why Should You Use an Oscillating Tool?
Actually, an oscillating multi tool can perform tons of useful actions, in case you have necessary accessories. The first obvious purpose for using this multi-functional tool is the necessity to make flush cuts in wood, metal, and drywall. The second popular property of this device is its ability to make plunge cuts with little effort. I want to add that most oscillating multi tools will allow you to get rid of old paint or old linoleum floor with the help of stripping, peeling, and scraping attachments. Additionally, sanding can be way too easier if you use your multi tool as an orbital sander. And that is not everything you can do with the help of this miraculous tool as it also allows to remove caulk and grout, as well as even undercut doors. Overall, the more accessories you have, the more tasks you will be able to perform using your favorite oscillating tool. Keep all these useful facts in mind when trying to find the best oscillating multi tool that will make your life easier!