Fastening the mirror to the wall, mounting the wall cupboards and shelves, installing the wall-mounted TV, hanging the picture, fixing the chandelier to the ceiling – every one of these operations requires the best stud finder best stud finder. Yes, indeed, the location of the stud may be discovered with a large magnet or by driving the nail into the wall until you reach the stud. However, the first way is too slow and the second one requires wall ruining.
The stud finders are the real innovation on the market. Usually, they are used to determine the spots where the surface is denser. These portable devices are able to give you the most precise way of the stud location, saving your time. Their usage also doesn’t require any special skills or knowledge.
How Does A Stud Finder Work?
The wall stud finder is a simple device, which electronic circuit provides good sensitivity and stability. A distinctive feature of such a stud finder is its low operating frequency. The coils of the inductance of the electronic stud finder work at a frequency of 3 kHz, which gives, on the one hand, a weak response to unwanted signals, and on the other hand, good sensitivity for searching small nails and studs.
So, this is how a stud finder works:
- The alternating current of the device creates a non-constant magnetic field, which is subject to change.
- This field produces its own variable magnetic flux in a metallic object found at an accessible distance.
- As a result, the detected object acquires its own magnetic field, which is recorded by the receiving coil and amplified by electronic devices.
- According to the type of signal, the stud finder determines the object and shows it on its display, with the help of signal or vibration.
Possibilities Of The Innovative Stud Finders
A stud finder that is also called “multi-scanner” can help you find and even determine the kind of material behind the wall/ceiling by detecting the density of a material: beams, metal screws, etc. Thanks to the different built-in radars, it is even able to determine the kind of material used on the other side of the wall.
The mixture of different scanning methods allows innovative models to give out the most precise image of what is behind the wall.
Tips on Using Stud Finder
- Insert the batteries in the device, and make sure that they are charged before you begin.
- Start your searching from the windows and doors: the studs usually delineate a window or door to make the construction more sturdy. Then, press the stud finder to the right place and push the power button. Move it slowly across the area until you hear the signal.
- Make sure that your stud finder is capable of determining the wires under the drywall, so you won’t get an electric shock.
- Be patient: the process of finding the stud can take about 15 minutes.